Friday, August 3, 2012

Jots & Tittles - A Hairy Subject

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law or the prophets:  I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.  For verily I say to you, till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law till all be fulfilled."

Matthew 5:17-18  KJV

The old joke goes, "God made a few perfect heads, and put hair on the rest."

This saying rings me comfort as well as a smile because - I am folically challenged!


I am not totally bald.  I do have hair that creates a sort of monk's tonsure.  It does go from ear to ear, but there's very little on top.  This little piece of fur that will not leave the top of my head, I affectionately call it, "The Little Engine that Could."


"I think I can . . . I think I can . . . I think I can . . . spread to the rest of Ed's scalp!"

Did you know that the average human head has over 100,000 strands of hair?


I know that I don't have that many on the top of my head, but I make up for it by growing a beard.  The average male beard has between 7,000 to 15,000 strands of hair.


I believe that my beard keeps my head on the level!

To explain hair loss, scientists calculate that fifty to a hundred hairs a day are lost or fall out.  I must've lost a decades worth overnight when I turned forty!

Matthew 10:30 says, "The very hairs of your head are all numbered."

God can count my hair on both His hands!

How do we know all this - where did we get all of this knowledge?  I Corinthians 12:8 says, "For to one is given by the Spirit the Word of Wisdom, to another the Word of Knowledge, by the same Spirit."

Scientists may think that they had discovered this, but it was our all knowing, all poweful God that granted this knowledge.  Sorry about that, Richard Dawkins!  We might as well ge this into our heads and hearts right how - God knows all because He created all.  Because He has set all things in motion, all things will be fulfilled.

Jesus was asked if He had come to destroy the law of the Old Testament.


Was He going to null and void the Scriptures and make something new and contrary to what had been preserved and passed down for so many generations?

Consider John 1:1:  "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."


In John 1:3, he says, "All things were made by Him, and without Him was not anything made that was made."

And, finally, in John 1:14 we read, "And the Word was made Flesh and dwelt among us."

So, in the beginning there was Jesus, Who made everything (set it in motion), and now dwells among us, and He is asked - will He destroy the law? 

In the Old Testament there are 23,148 Scriptures.  In the New Testament, there are 7,958 - between the two a grand total of 31,103 verses of Scripture that became Flesh - that are fulfilled in the person of Jesus Christ!  And He is asked if He is going to destroy the Old Testament!  That would be like cutting off His arms and legs! 

Let's revisit His answer:

"Think not (don't even think about it!) that I am come to destroy the law or the prophets (the Old Testament, my Foundation):  I am not come to destroy (make null and void), but to fulfill (carry it all out!).  For verily (truly) I say to you (pay attention to Me, now), till heaven and earth (all of My creation) pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all (all means all and that's all that all means!) be fulfilled (carried out).

In closing, let's look at the words, "jot" and "tittle".  

JOT - Greek - 'iota'; Hebrew - 'yod'; both meaning the smallest Hebrew letter - small, like a mustard seed.


TITTLE - Greek - 'keraia' meaning smallest stroke in a Hebrew letter.


It is like the dash ( - ) in this week's post title and the dashes used throughout this post.  'Keraia' comes from the Greek word, 'keras' which means - get this - A HAIR ON THE HEAD!!


Not one dot of an 'i', nor a cross of a 't' - not a single hair will be lost till Jesus fulfills every word in His Word!

Remember - since the return of Israel to their own nation in 1947, we are in the home stretch of prophecy fulfillment.  We are this close to 99.9% of Biblical prophecy already fulfilled - and the headlines bring the world closer to 100% everyday!  Knowing this, what is your decision for and about Jesus Christ?

It's time to be like a hair - stand up and be counted!

How do you read?  What do you think?


Sharing Jots & Tittles this week with:
Laura on Faith Filled Fridays at Beholding Glory
Charlotte on Spiritual Sundays

3 comments:

  1. Ed,
    This was so informative. I've always been a bit puzzled by what Jesus says here...every jot and tittle will be fulfilled in him. You've helped give some clarity. And how you tied it all to hair was, well, just fun. :) I like the joke at the beginning. I'll have to remember that for some special people in my life who are folically challenged!
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing how many of the end time prophecies have already come to pass. As to hair. Mine used to be very thick. Now it is very thin. It would be interesting to know how many I have lost in the last few years. I'm sure it is more than half. God knows.
    Thank you for sharing again.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and conversation as we enter into His Story together!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...