Friday, March 23, 2012

Doing the 180

"Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand."
Matthew 4:17

"Holiness, holiness - It's the Lord's command - not the Lord's request."
Don Francisco

First, a little word study:

REPENT, in the Greek, is "metanoeo"which means - to think differently or afterwards, to reconsider, to change one's mind, to change for the better.  Metanoeo is taken from the word, "noeo" which means to exercise the mind.  Noeo is taken from the word "nous" which is where we get the phrase - "using your nogin." 

Psalm 37:23 reads:  "The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord."

According to the Word of God, there are three steps to metanoeo:

Step 1 - New knowledge
Step 2 - Regret for previous course, a displeasure with self
Step 3 - A change of action

All these "steps" can be found on the "Roman's Road" - that nifty little handful of scripture verses from the Book of Romans that maps out the way of salvation - calling whomsoever will to metanoeo.  Metanoeo refers to a change of choice, while its synonym, "metamellomia" refers to an emotional change.  This is what is meant by the Biblical use of the word "repent".

In previous posts, I have shared the details of my change in eating habits.  By new knowledge about food, gained by the reading of product labels, my condition of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and high sugar forced me to reconsider my eating habits.  My regret for eating poorly caused me to seek good counsel, which led to getting checked out by my doctor.  The examination by the doctor led me to a change in action, resulting in a changed life!

I did a complete 180 degree change in eating.  The low-fat, low cholesterol, low sugar diet brought the results of "back to normal" readings in my blood test and blood pressure, plus the much needed loss of some thirty pounds.  

In our journey from darkness to light in our lives, Jesus calls us to make a 180.  Trouble is, some folks go beyond the black and white of the 180 to the round robin of a 360.  But, to do that is just to go around in circles.  This is why many people often experience failure in diet and lifestyle changes - they don't stop at a 180 - but, go onto a 360, which lands them right back to where they started.

I spent a good deal of my Christian walk going 360 for Jesus - and wondering why I seemed to be getting nowhere other than the failed places I'd been to before.  I was going in circles - a 360 - until I stood still long enough for the Word of God to cut me in half:

"For the Word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart."
Hebrews 4:12

Jesus separated my darkness and brought me into His light in all matters of life.  Pierced to my core by His Word, I finally was able to understand the fullness of my salvation - Step 1 - New knowledge.  This caused a decisive - Step 2 - Regret for previous course, a displeasure with self - and the resolve to choose - Step 3 - A change of action!  I got off the 360 treadmill and onto the 180 train going in the opposite direction of God's calling. 

Metanoeo, Everyone!

Holiness, holiness
For the people of God there remains a rest -
Holiness, holiness
It's to hear God,
And to answer, "Yes."

Don Francisco

What do you think?  How do you read?


Sharing The 180 this week with:
Faith Filled Fridays at Beholding Glory
Spiritual Sundays 
Graceful's Hear It On Sunday - Use It On Monday 


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the word study. I appreciate learning about meanings of the Bible's important words. And is this ever an important one! I can certainly identify with the going around in circles! I need to repent often, since that initial time, make a course correction, and get back on that 180, opposite of the world's path. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diet and exercise are needed and good, but some people by genetics, need help with their doctor. Medications are also used to lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and are important to complete overall health, when diet and exercise isn't enough. God works through science to change and balance our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I somehow stumbled on your blog and very much enjoyed my visit!
    Thank you for sharing God's path!
    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  4. So blessed by your explanation of repentance. It was good for my 'nogin'. You put it in very practical steps as you shared your journey with diet change. Way to go, Ed! So good to hear of your success. May God continue to bless you!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and conversation as we enter into His Story together!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...